Tuesday, April 21, 2015

d

I left you with 
saltwater on my shirt
in a hurried day of which I knew
There would be no turning back
No fixing a little bump or scrape
I was already checked out and cold
My knees were weak, and I just wanted to touch you
The light was fading
Dimming and making me question myself
Squinting at the clouds overhead
wishing it would rain
so you couldn't see the monsoon inside
but you could always feel that part of me
and this is why you gracefully bowed out
why you knew that I was broken
It was never about money
but I welcomed the favors and the mention
I spent today thinking I would see you
I spent yesterday doing the same
I dreamt of nothing, wishing you were there
Open and honest
We were always right
Always sensing what the other would not speak
I cried alone
Days upon days not knowing where I was driving
Listening to the music you gave me
Finding a desire to hear you speak
feeling your lips touch my ear
Putting the phone to my face and putting it down
Never dialing
Giving you space
I wandered the desert
Holding myself against mountains
Remembering your warmth
Kicking up dust and throwing rocks
Escaping to California
Bleeding
I have become a siren
Calling them into my song
Yet more human, because of you
Everything reminds me of you
This city has echoes of us
I find myself walking
in the same route we always did
Sometimes I wish I could find a different one
Sometimes I just don't think about it
I picture you with my guitar
Incense burning
Entertaining someone who deserves you
while I am in North Carolina
Remembering my father
Talking to my mother
standing under a waterfall alone
hiding the waterfall inside
Americano iced
everything but the kitchen sink
sleep
text
call
kiss
goodbye
I love you
see you soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment